Preferences (pilihan). Berikut ini beberapa pola kalimat untuk menyatakan pilihan (lebih memilih A ketimbang B).
1. S + prefer + noun/V-ing + to + noun/V-ing
- I prefer riding a motorcycle to driving a car.
- We prefer this new building to the old one.
- She prefers singing to dancing.
- Andy prefers doing his hobby to watching TV all day.
Catatan: Untuk kalimat dengan subject tunggal maka kata prefer ditambah dengan -s.
2. S + like + noun/V-ing + better than + noun/V-ing
- Some people like doing sport better than staying at home on Sunday morning.
- My friends like English better than Math.
- His brother likes operating computer better than doing his homework.
- He likes basketball batter than football.
Catatan: Untuk kalimat dengan subject tunggal maka kata like ditambah dengan -s.
3. S + would rather + V1 + than + V1
- They would rather take the chance than ignore it.
- I would rather save the money than spend it.
- Rudy would rather phone me than sends SMS.
- He would rather leave than stays in this room.
4. S + would prefer + to V1 + rather than + V1
- Many teenagers would prefer to enjoy surfing on the internet rather than listen to the radio.
- I would prefer to open this window rather than close it.
- The police would prefer to arrest the robber rather than set him free.
- He would prefer to work rather than become an unemployment.